Sunday, October 19, 2008

DIY Tip #6: Get a Budget-Friendly (but yummy!) Caterer


We wanted comfort food that was tasty and affordable. And so the quest for a caterer that met both our taste expectations as well as our budget was essential. We asked around among our titas and friends, and finally decided on Queensland Catering services.

They have several wedding package options. We went with their basic wedding menu, and they were kind enough to accommodate our preferences for the food choices. For example: We didn't want the corn and gulaman salad, and requested to have garden salad (mixed greens) instead. We wanted the food to reflect the "brown and pink" theme as well, and so requested that iced tea and pomelo juice be served instead of the usual soft drink choices.

They were kind enough also to consider our specifications for the look of the tables. I wanted to execute some ideas I had from my personal "wedding research." All it took was for me to give a photo to the catering manager, who instructed the waiters and crew to copy the mock-up on the photo.

Table Elements

Brown and pink table runners.
The sample themed tables and chairs weren't what I wanted. So Mom and I went to Kamuning and bought yards of chocolate brown and pale pink fabric, which we had made into table runners. Each table had a brown or pink center runner.

Roses. I wanted pale pink roses as the main centerpiece for each table. Since our catering package already included the flowers per table, I requested that the catering manager follow the topiary-type look for the flower arrangement, instead of the "fern-like" default arrangement. My good friend (who happened to be the florist for the wedding) threw in some rose petals for free, which we scattered on each table for a whimsical and dreamy feel.

Tealights.
Being an outdoor wedding, I thought that warm candlelight would be perfect for the setting. Mom and I bought Php 10.00 tumblers from SM during a sale (We bought 70 pieces!). A friend from Vietnam gave 50 other scented votives, which she sourced out from a Vietnam-based candle supplier to Target. Each table had five tealights or votives, which gave off a vanila scent to compliment the sweetness of the table arrangement.

Personalized table numbers.
An idea I picked up from theknot.com, each table featured a table number with a picture of either my husband or I at different ages. Our ages in the photos corresponded to the number of the tables: We had 18 tables in all. Each table number was made in Photoshop, saved in PDF format for printing, and printed at my bridesmaid's house for free!

0 comments: